Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body.
It is the major component of connective tissues that make up several body parts, including tendons, ligaments, skin and muscles.Consuming collagen may have a variety of health benefits,
* Taking supplements that contain collagen may be helpful for slowing the aging of your skin.
* Taking collagen supplements has been shown to reduce inflammation and stimulate collagen synthesis in the body. This may help promote pain relief for people with joint disorders such as osteoarthritis.
* Consuming collagen supplements may help reduce the risk of bone disorders such as osteoporosis. They have the potential to help increase BMD and lower levels of proteins in the blood that stimulate bone breakdown.
* Research has shown that consuming collagen supplements increased muscle growth and strength in people with age-related muscle mass loss.
* Taking collagen supplements may help reduce the risk factors associated with heart conditions such as atherosclerosis.
* There are other advantages too such as its good for hair and nails, improves gut health, improves brain health ( some studies shows that it actually helps in improving mood & anxiety) , some studies says that it helps in weight loss too and a faster metabolism.
Currently, there are not many known risks to taking collagen supplements.
However, some supplements are made from common food allergens, such as fish, shellfish and eggs. People with allergies to these foods should avoid collagen supplements made with these ingredients to prevent allergic reactions.
Collagen supplements may lead to side effects such as a bad taste in the mouth, heartburn and fullness. If you have allergies, make sure to purchase supplements that aren’t made from collagen sources you’re allergic to.
Taking collagen is associated with a number of health benefits and very few known risks.
For starters, supplements may improve skin health by reducing wrinkles and dryness. They may also help increase muscle mass, prevent bone loss and relieve joint pain.
Collagen supplements are generally safe, quite easy to use and definitely worth trying for their potential benefits.
info taken from: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/collagen-benefits#section9